Monday, June 19, 2006

10 Things I Miss Most From my Mom’s cuisine

I started this blog by writing on my mom's culinary skills and the magic touch she adds to her recipes. But then missed out on mentioning the favorite dishes my mom prepares.

I would like to thank Aparna, as it was so nice of her to tag me to this meme world.

Even now, when I plan to go home, the first thing would be to call up my mom and give her the list of recipes I covet to eat. And as always she ends up preparing all those mouth-watering dishes for me and serves it with more love. Its just not her recipes that i miss...its her that i miss the most :(.

There is a long list of recipes that I crave for, prepared by my mom. But then the meme is about 10 dishes. So here they go

  1. Palada Prathaman - Its one of my favorite payasam. I would call it Divine Nectar. For this payasam, pieces of flour paste (ada) are boiled in milk and sweetened with sugar. No ghee or spices are added except some cardamoms.
  2. Appam & Ishtu - They just make a great combination. I have never tasted appam, as soft in the center and crisp on the sides like my mom makes.
  3. Pathiri & Eirachi curry –Breakfast cant get better when my mom prepares pathiri with eirachi curry.
  4. Crab Curry – Crab cooked in coconut milk.
  5. kalumae kai (Mussles) Fry – Though we don’t get to eat them regularly, it tastes fabulous.
  6. Fish Fry & curry – Just can’t stop eating all the varieties of fish fry and fish curry that mom prepares.
  7. Mutton Liver Fry – Wow! Real lip smacking recipe, where she fries mutton liver marinated in pepper.
  8. Chicken Biriyani – Cooked in pressure cooker, the taste is incredible.
  9. Kesari – A sweet dish made from suji, milk and sugar.
  10. Pickles – Wow! just cant wait to get the highly spiced Mangoes, Ginger Mango, Garlic pickles bottled to take it back with me.

I have tried to prepare all the above recipes, but seldom does the taste come closer to that of my mom’s.

I would like Indianadoc and Kirthika to write a few words about thier mom's cooking.

9 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger cruxwork said...

I can feel how much you missed your mom's cooking, indeed! I haven't tried any of these cooked by your mom except Palada Prathaman. I remember once you brought for us. If I get a chance, I feel myself lucky to enjoy your mom's magical cooking

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Bindu Vijayakumar said...

Hey Vishnu,

When you visit India, just drop in at my place in Cbe. My mom would be more than happy to serve you with your favorite recipes...

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Puspha said...

Very delicious list.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger sudhav said...

lovely list bindu, paladda pathaman yummuy yummy..miss them a lot..my elder sis used to make them...

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger sudhav said...

you have been tagged for this meme TAG WORLD CONFESSIONS. Hope you will play,Bindhu

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Krithika said...

Thanks for tagging me. Could you please post the recipe for paladda prathaman ?

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger indianadoc said...

Thanx for tagging me bindu...a chance to ruminate over all those sweet memories of yesterdays...

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger Nandita said...

Hi Bindu,
Got here through chef blogs listing. I'm surprised I haven't seen your blog before despite having quite a few common acquaintances from the food blogging world-
I'm going to have a look through your posts, seems to make an interesting read-
Cya around
N

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger archana said...

That's a nice spread of food memories you have got, looking forward to see all these recipes soon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home